Save the Date: Saturday September 30th, 2023!
Porchfest is coming to Easthampton! Inspired by a Cultural Chaos afterparty and fond experiences of past Porchfests around Greater Boston, two Easthampton neighbors began asking themselves — what if we had a Porchfest here in Easthampton? Wouldn’t it be a great way for neighbors to come together and celebrate all the unique music and musicians here in Easthampton? Thus was the seed of Porchfest in Easthampton sown. Think about a kind of Open Studios, which is for visual artists, but for music instead. Porchfest is a time for neighbors to connect and share their love for playing and listening to music.
- Porchfest is a community-based music festival that brings neighbors and musicians together for a day of free concerts on front porches and lawns throughout a neighborhood. Started as a grassroots initiative, Porchfest has now become a popular tradition in many cities around the world, providing an opportunity for local artists to showcase their talent and for residents to enjoy a day of live music in a relaxed and informal setting. Whether you’re a music lover, a performer, or simply looking for a fun and unique way to connect with your community, Porchfest offers an unforgettable experience that celebrates the power of music to bring people together.
- We’re excited to be bringing Porchfest to Easthampton for the first time this year. Our mission is to bring people together and blur the lines between what is considered public and private spaces. We’re focusing on the New City neighborhood and anticipate a great day full of music, fun, sharing space, meeting your neighbors, and celebrating all that is great about Easthampton! We’ll also be having an afterparty once the festivities are done.
- Curious to learn more about Porchfest? Check out some other examples of Porchfests across Massachusetts.
How to Apply & FAQ
Deadline to apply is Tuesday July 15th at 11:59pm.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Where and when will Easthampton Porchfest be held?
- Easthampton Porchfest will be held on the porches, driveways, and backyards of your neighbors in New City! Porchfest is completely free and you don’t need a ticket to attend. It will take place on September 30th in the afternoon (exact times TBD). A map of locations will be provided closer to the event.
Is there a rain date?
- Yes! The rain date is Sunday October 1st.
Why New City?
- We chose New City since it is easily walkable, has a unique history, and is close to parking and downtown.
How do I get there?
Where can I park?
- There is plenty of street parking in the area (first come first serve). We can’t guarantee readily available parking spots, so we encourage you to walk, carpool, or bike over!
- Please be respectful of the neighborhood and don’t park on grass, block fire hydrants, or block driveways.
Is there bike parking?
- There will be an area where you can lock up your bike.
How can I volunteer my porch (or other space)?
- We are taking submissions for porches through July 15th. Please submit the ‘Volunteer My Porch’ form, sign-up for our mailing list, and follow us on social media in order to stay up-to-date and be notified with updates. We will let you know by August 15th whether your porch space has been selected.
How can I register to perform?
- We are taking submissions for bands and musicians through July 15th. Please submit the ‘Performer Registration’ form, sign-up for our mailing list, and follow us on social media in order to stay up-to-date and be notified with updates. We will let you know by August 15th whether your band has been selected.
What kinds of performers or music are you looking for?
- One of the unique aspects of Porchfest is that it is open to all genres of music, so you can expect to hear a diverse range of styles throughout the day. From folk and bluegrass to rock, jazz, hip-hop, and beyond, you’re likely to encounter something new and exciting around every corner. Porchfest aims to provide a platform for all types of music and all kinds of performers (big bands, small bands, solo acts, singer/songwriters, dad rockers, opera singers, etc.), giving everyone a chance to share their art with the community.
How can I volunteer my own band to play on my own porch?
- Register your band through the ‘Performer Registration’ form, and in the address section provide your address. Also make sure to fill out the ‘Volunteer My Porch’ form, and in the Notes section provide the name of your band.
Can I bring food and drink?
- You are welcome to bring your own food and beverage, and we encourage you to bring what you would like and need! We request that if you do bring food/drink, please follow the ‘carry in carry out’ rule. Remember that these venues are people’s homes and private spaces, so please make sure you pick up and clean after yourself.
Can I bring alcohol?
- Public drinking is not allowed. Porchfest takes place in individually owned yards and spaces, and public streets and sidewalks in between. When in public, you are subject to the usual laws regarding alcohol consumption.
Are there bathrooms?
- There will be some portable restrooms. Please note that homes hosting bands will not be open for restroom use.
Will the streets be closed?
- No, roads will not be closed so please take care when moving between one space and the next.
Are dogs allowed?
- Different homeowners will likely have different preferences when it comes to dogs on their property, so please be aware of and sensitive to that. If you bring your dog, please keep it leashed, on public space, and be prepared to pick up after your dog if needed.
I’m volunteering my porch and/or band. I registered my interest; what happens next (timeline)?
- We will be reaching out to everyone who submits an interest form– stay tuned!
I want to support Porchfest but I am not a musician and I don’t have a space. How can I support Porchfest?
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Can I donate to the performers?
- Yes! We encourage tip jars and their use.
Is there a hashtag or social media?
A few extra notes:
- No public consumption of alcohol in the streets
- No loitering in neighbors’ yards or driveways
- No blocking streets (stay on sidewalks and areas of the road that will allow car passage)
Announce Easthampton Porchfest 2023
July 15th, 2023 @ 11:59pm
Deadline to apply to be a Host-site
Deadline to apply to perform
August 15th, 2023
Notifications of “porches” and bands of their acceptance
August 22nd, 2023
Easthampton Porchfest lineup is announced
September 30th, 2023
October 1st, 2023
Rain Date: Easthampton Porchfest
ECA Mission & Core Values
Easthampton City Arts (ECA) is a city organization that creates positive, innovative, and accessible arts programming and cultural events to generate and increase opportunities for artists and the local economy. ECA’s core values are to:
- CULTIVATE a welcoming, supportive, and inclusive environment for ECA artists and the greater public;
- PARTNER with local businesses and community organizations to create dynamic, integrated arts and cultural programming to activate downtown Easthampton and beyond;
- WORK IN COMMUNITY to secure funding and resources to support local artists;
- EMBRACE the rich history of greater Easthampton and the social and cultural diversity of our community;
- PROVIDE free, affordable, and accessible programming for people of all ages.
*For more information about Easthampton City Arts, please visit www.easthamptoncityarts.com